Tuesday 11 January 2011

THE DAY THE KITCHEN STARTED TO LOOK LIKE A KITCHEN (A BIT ANYWAY)

As predicted  there was something missing on the cooker delivery....... The cooker!

Yep, once again the cooker did not arrive and whilst, I am sure that you would agree, I like to write a lot on this blog but even I won't bore you with the detail. All I will say is that after 8 phone calls I live in hope that I may just, perhaps, possibly, if the wind is in the right direction, God willing, fingers crossed, with the luck of the Irish just might obtain a cooker tomorrow morning, but I won't be betting on it.

This is all just everyday trivia. I know this but first and foremost this is a diary for me and Alison to look back on in years to come and secondly a way of keeping friends and family informed of what we are up to, hopefully in a fun an interesting way. Of course it is the what we are 'up to' that many have found surprising, me giving up a reasonably secure career and moving to a place where we have no friends or relatives living and starting a business from scratch... and he is 50 you know.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain

There.  That cut out at least two paragraphs of waffle from me and got to the point directly. We married young, brought up two children (of whom we are incredibly proud )  and at times we helped within our local communities. Very straight, very good but very 'safe'. So as the Boy and Girl left home we have started to let our hair down, just a little, and I guess going on a self drive holiday in Iceland on a whim may not be the darkest forests of the Amazon but it is a little different. Not what your average Joe would do. The Bed and Breakfast thing is no earth shattering business idea, but what many do each year. It is not the specific business that is the 'thing' I had to do.   No, it was the 'sailing away from the safe harbour'  that I craved.
A new challenge awaits and at present we start with humble foundations, in our case just over 150 ceramic floor tiles laid onto the kitchen floor, three kitchen units and a door, but hey every long journey starts with just one step - enough of the proverbs. Here is the kitchen today (the oven is meant to live on the right at the far end.

Forget the rough edges, there will be tiles and stuff, but it's a beginning and as Nina Simone put it so well....

It's a new dawn
It's a new day
It's a new life
For me
And I'm feeling good....

335

No comments:

Post a Comment