Thursday 20 January 2011

THE DAY IN WHICH I TARNISHED MY KNOBS

Good morning,
I state this only because I normally make a point of writing this diary in the evening whilst the days events are reasonably fresh in my mind. I say fresh as my memory appears to have a shelf life of about 24 hours which is not far off that of a sheep but still a little in front of a Gold Fish.    Where was I?....   Oh yes,  memory.... Diary...... evening.... fresh.       Right, I've found my thread again,  I normally write this in the evening so I can be as accurate as I can be, but last night I was so tired that I did not even have the energy to open the Laptop lid!
   On the weekend we drove down to London and back, then on Monday I drove across to St Albans and back (6 hours) getting caught up in the standard Motorway crawl. After several miles at an average speed of 15 to 20 miles an hour and with the pressure of an appointment to get to we (Stephen and I) headed for the tiny B roads. I have always been an advocate of the motorway, but that beacon is slowly dimming as they become slower and more frustrating infact the only thing fast about the motorways is how fast they seem to be slowing! There is absolutely no question that if not for Stephens crack map reading and the use of the B roads we would have missed the appointment if we had stayed with the motorway, it brought into sharp focus what I was getting away from in moving to Norfolk. Madness!
      On Tuesday it was another full-on day getting the kitchen ready for the plumber to install the kitchen sink etc. and I was feeling a little tired by now, then on Wednesday the plumber came at 8:30am and kept me company until 7pm! The task for the poor guy was fairly big, he had to move a chunk of pipework at least 30 years old even changing the original stop cock which had had its day. He then had to cut out the sink hole from the work top, plumb in my sink, Freezer (ice machine), Dishwasher and washing machine whilst organising waste pipes for the appropriate units. Throughout I had timely tasks to do around what he was doing and again it was a full-on day.
      In the evening Alison & I went out for our unofficial 30th anniversary meal, unofficial because it was the anniversary of our first 'date' so we got back fairly late and after the weeks hassle and a glass of wine I was just too dog tired to do the blog.

     So this morning I had a bit of a lay in. The numbness in my fingers seems to be far more of an issue at night and especially first thing in the morning, when, as to day, the fingers are totally numb. Still the cat popped her head in and jumped onto the bed, meowing and continually nudging my head with hers. It felt a little like a scene from Skippy....

"What's that Scribble? Little johnny's trapped in a mine!"
"Meow, meow, meow......"

("Get up you lazy sloth I want my dinner".)

"Oh and the illegal poachers are getting away in a jeep?".
"Meow, meow, meow......"
("Come on you smelly old man, get out of bed and give me food!").
At which point she starts to nuzzle my face so I give her a loving stroke,
"Meow, meow, meow......"
("Are you getting up or are you going to fester in bed all day? And stop stroking me or I'll scratch you!")
"You like that don't you." As I stroked even more, thinking she's loving this.
"Meow, meow, meow......"
("Take that you moron,   I warned you")
"Ahhh you want to play", continuing to stroke her.
"Meow, meow, meow......"
("Take that and that you pathetic excuse of a human being, I'm hungry, GET UP AND FEED ME!")
"I bet you could do with a little food".
"MEOW!"
("HELLO!")
"Ok up we get then". So I climb out of bed only to find my loving cat has savaged my hand which I was oblivious to as the fingers she went for were totally numb, but now they were 'de-frosting' and the sense of pain was ever growing.
"Meow, meow, meow......"
"Little Bitch, bog off, go hunt a chaffinch if you're hungry!"


So Thursday is to be a day of recovery in many ways with fairly easy tasks.  I need a lot of door handles for the new kitchen cupboards, but having removed loads of grubby brass knob from the old units I tried to clean them.
Hello Google, I'M BACK!  'cleaning brass knobs', About 995,000 results, so I pick the one that says use Tomato Ketchup, brings them out a treat. Now was my chance to shine (as hopefully would the brass cupboard knobs) and I put my 35 years of Grocery expertise into action. Which ketchup to use, we need something cheap, taste is not important, nor colour but it probably needs to be acidic, something that 'smarts' a little when it hits your tongue.
Mmmmm,    Ah-ha,  Morrisons 'Value' Ketchup. So I soaked two of the brass knobs in the ketchup for about 2 hours and when Alison got home I took them out to show here the results of this magical treatment.
NOT GOOD!  The Ketchup had burnt away the brass plating completely and looked like it was burning into the material beneath, between you and me I don't think Alison was impressed as all I had to show her were a couple of tarnished knobs!





443

No comments:

Post a Comment