Thursday 27 January 2011

THE DAY THE HANDLES WERE SPICK AND SPAN WITH BRASS KNOBS ON!

The last few days have been spent measuring, cutting and sticking tiles to the kitchen walls. I know, I know, I've been going on about the flaming kitchen since mid-December but I am committed to doing the best that I can and quality takes time. Also I have had many 'little' interruptions, Christmas, New Year, snow, bad leg, weird hand and two car breakdowns to mention just a few. Interestingly enough the issue that I thought would be the biggest factor, the 'Normal for Norfolk' factor actually has hardly raised its head. I was talking to my car rescue guy the other day and he told me that he got called to a People carrier  that was stuck in a ford in a nearby village. He duly attended and sure enough there was a car right in the middle of a ford with water lapping up to nearly three foot deep. He could see no one around and so proceeded to roll up his trousers, took off his shoes and socks and waded in with the tow line in hand. When he was within just a few feet he became aware that there was somebody sitting in the car and so he continued to wade a little further to the side window. When the person opened the window he saw that inside there were seven people, all sitting crossed legged on their respective seats as the water had completely flooded the floor. It was a whole family and when the driver had stalled the engine half way across the ford they used a mobile phone to call for the tow truck, then just sat there until it arrived, then continued to sit there and watched as this poor beggar had to wade in, get soaked as he felt around for something to hook up the tow line up to. Now there just appears to me to be a little bit of the 'Normal for Norfolk' about that, they didn't even buy him a drink for his trouble.
     Anyway the kitchen, as I was saying, a little effort can be very rewarding as Stephen has taken on the patio Daz challenge Alison took on the musty old brass cupboard door knobs and what a job she did. The picture below shows a bunch of knobs all cleaned up with the one to the right as the 'before' example. Didn't she do well and we saved ourselves a fair chunk of wonga in the process.
     I do escape from the work sometimes, mainly shopping trips as I have not had a lot of time to do too much sightseeing although we try to make the most of the weekends for that kind of thing. But even a trip to the shops is a pleasure driving through the rolling countryside of Norfolk and every now and again I see a scene that I can't help stopping to take a photograph of. My self and Stephen were returning from Norwich on the Holt road when I pulled over to take this photograph of Corpusty church which was lit by the setting sun.
This really is a nice bit of countryside.







548

No comments:

Post a Comment