Thursday 23 December 2010

THE DAY THINGS STARTED TO COME TOGETHER, OR NOT.

The house is a warren of odd off shoots and whilst it has many rooms a lot of them are tiny attic style rooms in what would have been built as storage areas in the years when it was a Bakery. So our immediate objective is to decorate & prepare only those which we require to run our business, preparing one bedroom as soon as possible to allow me to start bringing in some money. So this means that the Kitchen, Dining room, Living room and Bedroom plus on suite are a must with our 'back' areas having to wait. We are juggling several of these rooms at once as different engineers have to use their skills in more than one room.
     The upshot of this is that no single room has been completed 100% but a couple of them are getting close, namely the Living room and the Dining room. The Living room still has a little painting to finish and a wood burning stove to be replaced & fitted and today one of the major items, to gel the look, arrived, the new three piece suite. We chose a suite of chocolate brown leather comprising of an armchair and a two seater and three seater sofa. Myself and Stephen (my son) had to remove our old suite from the room in preparation for the delivery and struggled with the odd shape of the sofa, but managed the recliner fairly easily as the back of the chair was removable. The delivery guys however breezed in with the new ones because after god knows how many years of guys struggling to deliver the awkward shaped sofas, finally someone has realised that you could design them ALL so that their backs come off and you just have to carry straight, easily manageable pieces and simply slot them together. Why this was not thought of some 30 years go I really cannot fathom.
     The other item delivered today was the curtains from B&Q which are destined for the Dining room. This room has all windows along one side (I'll get photos up as soon as I can work out how or get a child to show me) and so at night it looks stark and black, the curtains are one of the few final fabric finishing furnishing fittings (that's a mouthful!). 
     The last delivery today was also from B&Q and was the two kitchen work tops or should have been the two as they only had one of them. A phone call from customers services later explained that the second one (which is a larger 3.6mtrs) has still not been made and will not be delivered until the 15th January. This is a pain in the you know what as that work surface is the one that the kitchen sink will sit in and so I cannot install the sink until it arrives, well I guess at least I can give the plumber a date now.
     So, in short, today was a day that things started to come together and for the most part two rooms came a lot closer to completion BUT NOT the kitchen which has actually been delayed now by about a week.
     Well it is late now and I am suspending my Blog for a few days over Christmas, the cat is curled up in a ball right in the middle of the new two seater sofa, the fire is out, the TV off and I am the last to slink off to bed. The pressies are under the tree all our shopping is done and I think, no I know I am ready to soak in my first Christmas for some 35 years that I have not had to work.  

   To be honest it's a little bit scary,

                                                     what do I do now????

No comments:

Post a Comment