Thursday 9 December 2010

THE DAY THAT THE CHAIRMAN VISITED

The last few days have been full on, I have been decorating the dining room and really wanted to have it done in time for the Chairman's visit. It is a very big room (28sq mtrs) and even though one wall is made of bare flint & bricks there is still a lot of walls to prepare and paint.The room was the old Post Office shop and is at least 100 years old. Now I'm not saying that it had not been decorated since then, but clearly it had not been done since the mid 1970's and there was a fair bit to do. Whilst I was cleaning the ceiling I found 3 spider legs sticking out between a supporting beam and the ceiling above. The poor bastard had been nailed and trapped the day the ceiling was secured. I didn't fancy cutting them off, so I've left them there as a 'feature'.  Some people have stuffed birds or Moose heads, well I have three spider legs sticking out of a beam, sounds like a Tate Modern Art Gallery Installation.

I worked throughout the day, on my own, and every now and again the cat sauntered in walked the circumference of the room, wandered over to where I was working gave a little judgemental glance at my craftsmanship and then went to the middle of the room and flopped down on the hard ceramic floor tiles. Why do cats do that? I mean leave a perfectly good armchair, to lay on a cold hard floor. Anyway, about 10 minutes later I suddenly come to the realisation that I have been talking to the cat, quite intelligently, not the standard 'baby talk' but good solid conversation. Well in fairness that is probably a two way thing, no this was more a mono-sation and the only reason I think I realised that I was doing it was because I had said something gramatically incorrect and I found myself correcting my grammer to...... the bloody cat! Now I don't think the few weeks that I have been on this venture has turned me this way, no, what's more concerning is that I think I may have been doing this for the last few years and I am only thankful that, so far, I don't believe that she has joined in the conversation.

Anyway, today was important because I was expecting the Chairman to arrive and I really wanted to be ready. He was due at 8am and arrived bang on time and with his colleague they firstly delivered the Dining room table and then the Chairs. With the arrival of the Table and the chairs the dining room was now complete. Job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment