Wednesday 22 December 2010

THE DAY THAT THE FAMILY GOT TOGETHER AND I REMINISCE

Today was a good day. Since we have moved in we have either had our son in residence or our daughter but, so far, neither of them at the same time. Stephen had helped me move the heavy stuff into the house then went back to London to get away from 'nothing to do Norfolk' and Claire I only picked up at the weekend. Well today was a special day in our new home, when Stephen re-joined us for Christmas and for the first time the whole family is together in the house. The Christmas tree is up, there is a thick carpet of snow all around, the log fire is roaring away, the tea is brewing and I'm not running around like a March Hare on heat in the manic mayhem of madness that is a Supermarket two days before Christmas. I can honestly say that I do not miss it in the least:-
The lost Turkey order,
The cheap promotion hoarder,
Nor the "It's not fair (boo-hoo) it is making me ill,
'cause he's got too many items for a hand basket till",
The "why have you run out of all the rolled icing?
"I can't hear myself think as the carol singers sing".
The credit cards system frequently failing,
The blessed little children continually wailing.
The ten tonne of slush that the wellies tread in,
the why are there not four bags in a bin?
I don't miss a bit getting up at five,
to de-ice the car for the early morning drive.
The sadness of the old lady who has had her purse stolen
or the misery of someone who's fallen and whose ankle is swollen.
The never ending vicissitudes that make you so very weary,
not sure what I mean then look it up in the diction-ary!
The have you done this and who's doing that,
what have you done and where are we at?
The telephone call warning of another visit due,
the scurrying to face the store for their view.
The endless waiting like astronauts on the dark side of the moon,
incommunicado, no one telling us if they are coming soon.
Then the frustration, they're no longer coming, what a blow
but having to kick start things again, for it's on with the show.
The working on nights then working on days,
the constant spin, your world in a haze.
And when finally it arrives, the job is done and Christmas is here,
You're back in two days to do it all again for the New Year!

Naaaa, I don't miss it a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment