Wednesday 20 April 2011

Hush, Hush, nobody cares............ Christopher Robin has fallen down stairs!

A very, very hot day but our flint cottage has done us proud by being beautifully cool inside without any air-conditioning machines... bliss!

Today I have been working all day on getting the bathroom floor 'made good' after the electricians and the plumber had done their thing. The room is fairly small (approx 3mtr x 1.6mtr) but the floor boards were, ARE, rubbish and are a variety of shapes and sizes. It looked like they had used every last scrap of wood that they could find. Many were loose and several had to be replaced before I could even think of starting to lay hardboard on top to even them out a little. That said, although it was an arduous day it was well worth stripping the bathroom back to these bare bones as I would not have found the crumbling floor boards which I managed to replace.

I have also been able to make access holes to the pipe valves and also taken the liberty to draw out, on to the floor with marker pen all the positions of the pipes beneath. This is after a lesson learnt the hard way when one bank holiday weekend in our old house whilst laying a bathroom floor I inadvertently hammered a nail into a pipe under the boards. The faint hissing noise first alerted me to this fact and then a stupid instinct told me to pull it out, so I did. Ladies & Gentlemen, for those of you whom are as stupid as me..... DO NOT REMOVE A NAIL FROM A WATER PIPE BECAUSE IT S THE ONLY THING KEEPING THE WATER IN!
In a blink of an eye lid my hissing noise became the Niagara Falls, except this Niagara was entombed under the very floor board which I had just sealed to the rafters.

So now I draw a 'Pipe Zone' clearly onto the floor to ensure that I do not make that mistake a second time!

Also I re-planted the 1977 Daily Mail and added a 2011 Times to the mix for the next poor blighter who has to pull up the floorboards

The moon has been really bright over the last few nights, lighting up the house and gardens beautifully and I could not help taking several shots of it. I don't know why it draws me to look at it so, but it just does I took some photos of it and have posted the best one here......

Anyway, it has been a long day and I'm tired, so may I bid you good night or indeed good morning if you are reading this over breakfast and I hope you all have a lovely day tomorrow.







1,320

No comments:

Post a Comment