Monday 11 April 2011

For oft, when on my couch I lie In vacant or in pensive mood, They flash upon that inward eye Which is the bliss of solitude; And then my heart with pleasure fills, And dances with the daffodils. .................................William Wordsworth

This week we went HD! High Definition at last.      The colour is brilliant and the clarity of the view astounding.
I've only cleaned the dining room and Kitchen windows so far but the view of the daffodils and Tulips is a massive improvement from a foggy blur up to a full clear highly defined view. It was such an improvement that my daughter likened it to getting HD TV.
Only another 48 windows left to clean and God only knows how many panes of glass that is. The drips of wood stain that the previous owner has liberally splashed over just about every single pane will take many months to remove but for now I can enjoy a clear view of my garden.

The view of the garden has been further improved as there has been such a lot of sunshine including several days without a single cloud in the sky all day! That is until the evening when enough clouds brewed up to give some stunning sunsets. A couple of days we drove up to the coast to catch a view of the sun as she slipped quietly into the sea and, of course, I took plenty of photos. Here's two of them.

Claire has been struggling to unravel the dozens of old Deed documents that we have in our possession for The Old Bakery. It is very confusing to our untrained minds as the writing is of vivacious old England style with the added challenge of being written by High Sheriffs in 'lawyer speak'. That said, she has made a couple of really interesting links today with one of the earliest owners of this house. We have the Deeds of 1746 when a Robert Henry Ackers owned it and run an Academy in the village. He had a pupil in his Academy called William Godwin who went on to be extremely well known in his own right, writing books and poems. He became good friends with our blogs host poet of the day, William Wordsworth. Which I think is pretty cool. BUT...... not as cool as Godwin's Grand-daughter who was the great Mary Shelley (for the ignorant, the bird what wrote Frankenstein).

I guess a house this old will have a multitude of interesting connections and increasingly I am becoming aware that I am not so much the owner of the property just the custodian, the guardian  if you will, over my comparative short tenure here. Like the last owner we plan to take nothing away from its history and perhaps even add a little to it.

We went Camel racing yesterday.  Yes,   yes, you did read me correctly, we went Camel racing yesterday at Fakenham race course........   Of course. It was after the main race meeting and was for charity with local Restaurant Pups putting members of their own staff up as jockeys. Some idiot has said on the web that Fakenham is the most boring place on Earth, well he should have turned up to this event, it was so funny. The Jockeys were all in fancy dress there was Wonder-woman, one of the Three Kings, a bumble Bee, a very 'stocky' Stig (from Top Gear) and several others. Inevitably Wonder-woman was not up to the job and the single Wise man of the Three Kings to bother to turn up suddenly made a bolt off the track heading towards Wales with a very concerned looking jockey holding on for dear life!
I managed to find a nice wad of Camel hair which, when positioned carefully under the nose made a great fluffy moustache. Sadly neither my Daughter nor my wife thought it was either funny or,indeed clever. Earlier we had each taken it in turns to choose  a horse to bet on and had a massive three out of three utter failures. For the most part they were either last or simply pulled up. The girls decided by either the horses name, or in Alison's case by the fact that the Jockey was wearing Sunderland Football teams colours! I however was more considered in my choice and even went to the enclosure to look at the 'orse and use my skilled eye to judge the fittest and most muscular. Ahhhh, but if only you could judge such things merely by looking at them. I chose the one with the most muscular bum the longest legs, the meanest, thinnest belly, the wildest eyes and that was just the Jockey! Looks can be deceiving and the old nag came in last. Mmmmmm.

Through pride we are ever deceiving ourselves. But deep down below the surface of the average conscience a still, small voice says to us, something is out of tune.
                                                                                                                  Carl Jung

Talking of deception I am not in the practise of deception, usually, but when I went to Cley windmill I was frustrated to see that I was unable to get the sun in a position behind the windmill, however I did manage to produce the above photograph. Talk about things not appearing to be what they seem I decided to try a little experiment. To those of you that were paying attention above, when I wrote of the sunset picture, "Here's two of them." That was exactly what I meant. I really could not get the photo that I wanted so when I got back (and you need to take my word that I have never done this before to get a 'good photo') I used a photo of the windmill and one of the sunset and constructed the one that I wanted. I was amazed what I could do with a software programme over 6 years old.
So here's the two original pictures that I took;-


The a bit of jigory pokery and hey presto the windmill is a silhouette just where I wanted it. Is it art or is it deception, I don't know but it has made me a little bit more cynical about great photos, that's for sure.








1,239

No comments:

Post a Comment