Tuesday 29 March 2011

The kiss of the sun for pardon the song of the birds for mirth. One is nearest God's Heart in a garden Than anywhere else on earth.

I am back on the decorating or at least I would be but the sun was out today and the forecast predicts rain tomorrow so naturally I re-organised my day and headed to the garden. Make hay while the sun shines, as the saying goes, and that is exactly what I did by getting the mower out and attacking the lawn. The lawn was already fairly short but the moss has taken hold and so I wanted to give it the shortest cut possible to tackle the moss. Well it certainly did produce some 'hay', about 30 trimmings box loads, enough to completely fill a 30ltr compost bin. It looks really good, not the compost bin I mean the lawn, although the compost bin is brand new and does look quite good I suppose, for a compost bin that is.
The previous owner clearly loved Primroses as they are everywhere and all colours popping out of the lawn, flower beds and the path. They look great, very cottagey. When we were viewing the house once we met the guy that mowed the lawn for him and he was mowing around some cowslips that were growing in several places in the lawn as the previous owner had always asked him to avoid them. Well I have been doing the same, out of respect, and as the Primroses grow on the same patches it looks really nice at the moment even though the Cowslips are still to show themselves. As you can see our cat, Scribble, loves the Daffodils although you shouldn't be fooled as she only likes them because it gives her cover to watch the birds from, and dream........

Having made the garden look the business I took tea with Claire, alfresco, and the pure peace, serenity and tranquillity of the place needed soaking up. Sometimes we are so head down that we don't stop and enjoy what we have achieved. In fairness to the previous owner, what he had achieved and I merely refreshed, but none the less the garden evokes an atmosphere in which I felt I was pulled into some involuntary meditation. I was reminded of the above poem which is engraved in a stone slab at a very peaceful view point in our old village in West Hoathly Church yard. I have a hundred and one things happening and to organise but in my garden, right here, right now that poem summed up the moment.

Earlier in the day I had the last trade to come and quote for the renovation plumbing work that is required to bring the annex up to the 21st Century. I know that all this work is going to cost a lot and it may even be out of our budget and so it is with intrepidation that I await the return of all the quotes. If we cannot afford to refurbish the annex now, I think it will be many years before we will next be able to do so ~ it is really fundamental to our pans and I have to admit to being very concerned that it will be too expensive to achieve.

Ah well only time will tell.






1,155

No comments:

Post a Comment