Saturday 21 April 2012

Sitting on the patio with a cup of Earl Grey tea.........

 200 words


High in the air where the air is bare
you'll look from your window and wonder what's there.
30,000 feet below,
a place you'll never visit, a place you'll never know.
But nestled amongst the patchwork quilt of lush green fields and ancient woods, near a salt marsh coast and pebbles and sand.
You'll find my village, my space, my home, My England.
Off the beaten track and on a road with no destination,
A laid back approach far from a City's complication.
Lost amongst a hundred other Norfolk hamlets in a County sorely underrated,
Sunken into a pillow of rolling inclinations, relaxed, chilled and totally sedated.
The village has rested here since the Doomsday book of 1085,
Unassuming, without pretence but with a throbbing heart it stays alive.
An old flint cottage but yet tidy and neat,
The Old Bakery stands humble on a road called The Street,
within its flint garden wall,
the daffodils and tulips stand tall.
The fruit trees blossom in a show of pinks and whites
it's a garden that invites, delights and excites.
Sitting on the patio with a cup of Earl Grey tea,
I notice high up in the sky an aeroplane flying over me...

                                                                                                  M.Thomas




Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 is asking people to say why they love where they live in 200 words or less so I have tried to capture the elements of what I think makes this place special and yes it is exactly 200 words.







4,372

No comments:

Post a Comment