Wednesday 20 March 2013

Car rot in a lay-by





 Only in Norfolk have I ever seen a pile of carrots just siting in a lay-by. It is not as if this is a one off event as a pile of carrots appears in the self same spot every year and the reason is a complete enigma to me.

Over the next few months it will slowly diminish, carrot by carrot and yet I never witness anyone or indeed any creature removing them. Are they there for the poor local peasants as a generous gift from the farmer. If so and whilst it would seemingly be a kind thought I would hope that there would be another farmer down the lane leaving a pile of cabbages and another a mountain of potatoes. Otherwise all our peasants (of which I haven't seen one in all the time I've lived here) could suffer from Carotenodermia giving them the appearance of an immigrant from Essex.

Another hypothesis is that the farmer is leaving horse food out just like I do for the birds in my garden in the hope that he will glimpse a roaming Suffolk Punch or a cute Falabella and perhaps if he just got lucky a roaming Shetland Pony. As this would involve the farmer sitting in his 'Horse hide' and likely to be able to see me this is one peasant that will not be helping himself to any of the carrots.

A final thought is that the farmer isn't all 'there' and has completely misunderstood the meaning of set-a-side!




7,466


No comments:

Post a Comment