Sunday 5 February 2012

Let it snow, Let it snow, let it snow....

We love The Old Bakery in the snow and actually Norfolk in the snow generally. Norfolk has the quaint little villages and rural life you'd expect of such a County but it also has its share of untamed wild and fairly remote countryside too. Both of these aspects are thoroughly enhanced by the fall of snow and so today's blog is given over to a small gallery of snowy pictures. I start with some more unusual birds that I have seen (and photographed) in my garden, which I know are not that rare, but I've not seen in any of my gardens before.

Redpoll
This Mealy Redpoll came and fed on the Niger seeds that I put out for the Gold Finches. This is yet another bird that I can add to my first time sightings list which is ever growing since we have moved to Norfolk.
The Fieldfare below is another bird that I have only seen since I have been in Norfolk. I have however seen quite a lot of them now and this one came into my garden to join all the other birds that are snacking on the food that I have put out for them. At times the garden is full of Finches, Tits, Blackbirds, Thrushes, Doves, and of course my favourite Percy the Pheasant all of whom are desperately feeding on the seeds and apples (that we collected from the wild in Autumn).
Fieldfare

Percy with his poorly leg (I think he is still roosting at night in the Yew tree at the back of the garden)








If you look carefully at this photo you can see the imprint of Percy's wings in the snow.







The Old Bakery

Chaos as the Panic buying starts in the village shop.

In search of a hill in Norfolk!

Alison and I saw a field full of geese which we estimated to be about 600 in number. A little later they took off in three separate waves of about 200~300 at a time. There were so many on this wave that I could not fit them all into the shot but as I count them now there are at least 300 in just this one picture. It is an amazing sight to witness.

Claire and I went to the coast today and were stunned at how inhospitable and remote it appeared. This beach goes on for 4 miles like this. Oh and yes those two dots in the distance are two people going for a wintery walk!
Cley Beach.
So there you have it a snap shot of a snowy day in North Norfolk. Tomorrow the rains will probably come and, like the spider, it'll all be washed away but for the moment we are far, far away from the problems it wreaks on Motorways and Airports and are simply enjoying the hear and now.

Finally I am ending with a another sunset shot. There have been so many good sunsets this year and I took this literally on the outskirts of our village. I know that it looks like I have tampered with the picture, but as Alison is my witness, this is the photo as I took it. I really love sunsets and this is one of my favourites....








3,545

No comments:

Post a Comment