Friday 9 August 2013

I don't know much... but it is safe to say that I knows me onionssss!

It is late on a Friday night or to be totally correct early on a Saturday morning and I am eeking out the day to quickly fit in a blog update. Time has been at a premium recently and if I don't make time to add to the blog it is likely to be another two weeks before I do so.

Just two months ago we were concerned that bookings seemed to be drying up but that was clearly the lull before the storm as July into August has been probably our busiest period todate. Having added Laterooms.com to our associated sites we have received some extra bookings and this along with a general pick up has led us to have both rooms booked for a significant period of time.

As a result we have had very little time to enjoy that Norfolk sunshine or indeed to get out and enjoy those beaches. We are not complaining, far from it as clearly in our line of business we need to take as much money as we can whilst the going is good.

However I am getting a little frustrated that all the hard work that I literally ploughed into the allotment may well be wasted as I struggle to find even half an hour free time to get down there. Throughout the day I watch the combine harvesters and tractors trundle along our road as they are busy pulling in the harvest of potatoes, peas, barley and wheat. Mean while my beautiful sweet broadbeans that I was eating raw from the pod are growing ever bigger, my cabbages are exploding with size and my courgettes are quickly becoming marrows.
Today went a little like this;-

07:00hrs Got up, fed the cat and started to prep the breakfast (Alison helped before going off to work).
08:15hrs first couple arrived for their breakfast.
08:30hrs The electrician arrives to fit a new bilge pump for my front yard (very urgent, stops flooding).
08:45hrs second couple arrived for breakfast.
09:15hrs first couple finish breaky.
09:30hrs first couple go out for the day.
At this stage having served 4 first courses (3 types) and 4 breakfasts (4 different choices) along with the croissants, tea and toasts my kitchen was somewhat beyond a 'working mess'.
09:45hrs whilst collecting dirty plates, get talking to guests,  a process which gets more involved on each return. They show interest in my photos so I show them my 'collection' book. We talk about their travels and other things and before we know it....... it is .....
11:15hrs They get ready to go out whilst I check the tide times and availability of the boat trips to see the seals at Blakeney Point.
11:30hrs second guestsgo out for the day.
11:40hrs I had breakfast and sit down.
12:00hrs Cleared breakfast table.
               set up dishwasher, washing machine and spin drier.
               Ironed sheets for tomorrows change over of B&B rooms.
13:10hrs vacuumed living room.
13:30hrs Put 'smalls' into wash (life goes on don't you know!)
13:50hrs Carried out room service on the two rooms.
14:30hrs went shopping for top up breakfast items (far more cooked breakfasts than normal).
15:40hrs put shopping away and reloaded washing machines.
16:15hrs went to allotment for first time in two weeks and sythed down the weeds then mowed the paths, oh and weeded the flower bed.
17:50hrs phoned home and asked Alison if she would cook dinner for me.
17:30hrs got back home and helped Alison to clear up the kitchen.
19:30hrs had dinner and then tidied living room as guest wanted to talk quilting to Alison.
20:30hrs more washing and more drying.
21:00hrs met up with second guests that wanted to talk quilting to Alison
22:45hrs second guests go to bed.
24:00hrs first set of guests get home and go to bed.
24:10hrs lay the table for tomorrows breakfast.
24:30 start blog.


And so it goes.

I did manage to harvest some food several weeks back and laid it all nicely out to display for this blogg.................
Onions, Red onions and shallots...... yeppp, I know me onions.


Cabbage, Curly Kale, courgettes, Broad beans, beetroot, cauilflower, new pots, rhubarb etc.


Ok, it is now 01:15hrs and I'm beginning to nod off so I shall have to catch you all again soon.

Tomorrow is a busy day with all of the above plus both B&B rooms needing a change over for new guests and the cottage also requires cleaning, bed linen changed (x 4) .....

I love it but I really want to get out there and take some photos like this sunset at Wells...








Good night.




9,573

No comments:

Post a Comment