Sunday 22 May 2011

“Think big thoughts but relish small pleasures.” H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Following on from Mike's last post in which he talked about the differences in the life he's leading now we're in Norfolk, I've been enjoying the simple things in life too.
Today has been a rarity since moving here. It is now six months since we moved in but with long working hours and almost all of my spare time spent sorting the house out or setting up the business, today has been the longest time I've had the house to myself. And just occasionally, what bliss that is. My 'small pleasures' that I have relished today have included:

* just being in the house with no other noise than being able to hear the birds singing outside the windows, (no idea what birds they are but there's a mixture of tunes and it sounds relaxing)
* an afternoon spent sewing and listening to the conclusion of the Premiership and the ever-changing fortunes of the teams threatened with relegation

* making 5 cushions, from start to finish in a few hours, (so good to be able to complete something in one go)
* being able to listen to the football without fear that my team would be relegated (that's an uncommon luxury)
* tidying a room and coming back into it an hour or two later and finding it's still tidy
* sole use of the tv remote control (except that absent people have left things recording which means I can't watch anything other than their choices and I've never been able to work out how to switch the DVD on - still I like the peace and quiet!)
* sitting in the garden watching the pair of Blue Tits, which have nested in the bird box Claire bought Mike, bringing back grubs and worms to the chicks that must be inside (the bird house has a balcony but no windows, so it's anyone's guess how many are in there). I've never been a bird-watcher but it goes with the territory up here.
* making the most of a blustery day and getting loads of washing done and getting the linen room organised with all the freshly washed and ironed sheets on their labelled shelves, ready for opening for business
* raspberry cheesecake for pudding (puddings are an occasional treat and there are spare fresh raspberries to go on tomorrow's breakfast cereal)
* and finally, time to read.

There's loads more I wish I had time to do today but once in a while it's nice to slow down and savour life and peace and quiet and not try and cram too much in.

No comments:

Post a Comment